Sunday, May 15, 2011

Friends. And humility.

One of the really neat things about being called to lead a mission is the friends you meet, make and cultivate. Someone once told me that you can earn as much money as you want during your life, but you only have the friends with whom God crosses your path. I don't think that's exactly scriptural, but it is a reminder to cherish your friends.
Juan Acevedo lives in Lake Elsinore, a city in Riverside County about 1-1/2 hours' drive north of Tijuana. Juan has a full-time job, but travels south to feed kids breakfast. He drives a big white pickup, wears a big white sombrero. When Juan looks at you, you sense a man with a deep, burning mission. He often has a shy grin on his face, even while there is a tear forming in the corner of his eye. You just KNOW that Juan is a man of considerable character.

As we grew to know Juan, we learned that his special mission is to single out those who live in the municipal dump of Tijuana. Children sort through refuse to find edible or usable garbage - from this they earn their livelyhood. Juan has a dream to build a Comidar, or feeding kitchen, to serve these from 'the least among us'. We at Hilarious Givers are truly blessed to be able to support Juan in his mission.

Juan has suffered setbacks and roadblocks during the months we have known him; there was a period during which he was unemployed - simply not enough work for him to do. There was a time when his volunteer cooks walked off the job in Tijuana. I'm sure he has suffered other obstacles he simply kept to himself. But through it all, Juan never fails to show up during a scheduled distribution, or to volunteer to help organize between times we pass out food. He is a regular source of financial support to Hilarious Givers, even though I know he needs every penny he earns. When I question him, he gives his characteristic shrug, a little smile, and says "It's God's. Take it!"

We learned last month that Juan was to be honored - his hard work, steadfast struggle, and years of study had earned him an ordination - Juan was to be given the formal position of being a Pastor! We were thrilled. Our Brother Juan certainly deserves the recognition. I sent him a short congratulary e-mail on the big day - the day of his ceremony. Here is his response:

"Guess what Judd. I did not go to the ceremony.  I had a call from Calvary chapel to meet with David Hacking personally to show them of my mission, and to me it is more important to let the world know. There are still out there millions of people lost and hungry for the Word of God. We need to reach out for and take the Gospel to them.... a few days ago after my prayers I opened my bible, and I read Isaiah's 61:1-3. That moment  I felt that God spoke to me true his Word and I realised I already have my title from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. No man will ever give me a better one. Humble faithful and obedient to God I will pick up my cross daily and follow my Lord. I belong to God. He wants me in the fields. not in a building and that's where I'm going, with my brothers. in the dump. God bless you. I thank you for being my friend. my brother, in Jesus Christ, Glory to our father in heaven......."



Nothing more to say.




3 comments:

  1. How blessed you are to know Juan. He is in our prayers. What a wonderful man! I pray he gets the desires of his heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a guy.

    Of course, I say the same thing about you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: Our kids were struck tonight with a nostalgia for California and they told me they wanted to go back and visit our friends with the adorable dog and turtle. I was confused until they added, "You know, Mom. She has long, beautiful white hair and he always comes over with pizza?!"

    Oh, RIGHT. Of course. I knew exactly who they were talking about!

    We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete