Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Family of God

What a joy to share this weekend with my family! Not the one I grew up in, not the one I married, but the one that God has led me into.

Not that I dislike my birth family or my wife or kids - quite the contrary. I cherish all that, and am thankful for each of them. But Debra and I spent this weekend with our church and mission families. We laid the foundation for this year's outreach to the orphans and other needy kids in Baja. We were joined by groups from Eastlake Church, Rancho Vista Church, Momentum Church, and an Assembly of God church whose Spanish name I don't recall. Friends from Lake Elsinore and Ramona in Riverside County made the trip to help out. We started early Saturday morning and worked through Sunday evening. And now, this morning, our first shipment of food will be arriving at our new warehouse.

This is what it must have been like when our ancestors held community barn-raising parties - everyone working toward a common goal, nobody seeking the easy way, but rather searching for the difficult task to complete. It was a lot of hard work, and could not have been accomplished without the dedication and motivation of a lot of generous folks.

We're changing lives in Baja, and feeding hungry kids. Thanks, God! Good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment